Her Name is Rio: Take This 2016 Summer Olympics Quiz
Earlier this week, we filled your brain with a mixture of interesting tidbits and utter nonsense in our Olympics quiz. Clearly you’re a glutton for punishment, coming back for more, so this time we’re focusing on the 2016 games, which begin this week in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It promises to be an exciting event, and our Mods in Brazil and all throughout South America have been telling us how thrilled they are to have the eyes of the world on their region.
To start you off, did you know that the upcoming summer Olympics will be the first time that a South American country has hosted the games? That leaves two continents to still have never hosted the Olympic games—Africa and Antarctica. Read on for more Rio 2016 trivia.
1) The dining hall in Rio’s Olympic Village serves 18,000 people approximately 60,000 meals per day. How much food is consumed there each day?
A. 185,000 pounds
B. 460,000 pounds
C. 725,000 pounds
D. 925,000 pounds
2) The Rio 2016 games will be the first to…
A. Feature Olympians born in this millennium
B. Feature a 300m sprint
C. Feature samba as an Olympic discipline
D. Feature Barcelona star Neymar
3) How many different events will there be at the Rio games?
I go with friends to watch the opening ceremony from a restaurant. We have a small competition while watching the Parade of Nations, as we try to remember friends from each country. We have friends from all over the globe.
— Daniel Menez, Cuernavaca, Mexico
4) What sport is making its Olympic debut in this year’s Summer Games?
B. Rugby sevens
D. Water polo
5) “Athletics” encompasses a wide variety of track and field and road running events—47 medal events in all. Which sport claims the second highest number of medal events?
I can’t recall the last time I’ve missed the Summer Olympics. I grew up in a family of gymnasts, so that’s is my favorite part.
— Amanda Hayworth, Longwood, FL
6) Which country has the most athletes scheduled to compete in Rio?
D. United States
7) Paralympic athletes will also be competing in Rio during the games. Which of the following sports is exclusively a Paralympic event?
C. Track and field
I’ll be following swimmer Rebecca Redfern, who made it to the Great Britain Paralympic team. She’s the daughter of a friend of mine, and I donated to the fundraising efforts to let her dad join her on her big adventure.
— Regina Weiss, Munich, Bavaria, Germany
8) Which of the following countries will send athletes to the 2016 Olympic Games for the first time ever?
D. South Sudan
9) Which of the following music acts is not contributing an official song to either this year’s games or the U.S. team?
A. The Band Perry
B. Katy Perry
D. Luiz Gonzaga
10) Which of the following competitions will not require a ticket to attend?
1-B; 2-A; 3-B; 4-B; 5-C; 6-D; 7-D; 8-D; 9-C; 10-C
Sources: CNN, Connections Academy, Kidzworld, PointAfter, TriviaChamp
“Athletes Village, Rio de Janeiro” by bbcworldservice is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
“Estádio Jornalista Mario Filho, o Maracanã” by luciano.silva is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
“Rio 2016 Aquatics Center” by Around the rings1992 is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
“Olympic City / Cidade Olímpica” by global_geographer is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG
Get a weekly roundup from the world of ModSquad.