ModSquad’s SXSW 2019 Attendee Guide
It’s almost here… That’s right, SXSW 2019 begins this Friday, and ModSquad will be exhibiting for the third year in a row. Whether you’re attending for the insightful panels, first looks at new movies, music performances, or just the endless opportunities for selfies and swag, this year’s event will be one for the books. With so much to do, we recommend reading through our tips below before heading into the action.
Panels We Wouldn’t Miss
If you’re a reader of our blog, you probably share our interest in digital engagement. And if you share our interest in digital engagement, you’ll probably be just as psyched for these upcoming panels as we are. See you there!
|Creating “Sound-On” Content in a Sound-Off World
Saturday, March 9, 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
|Why we’re excited: Why bother with background music when most videos are watched on mute? We love seeing how creators compel viewers to pump up the volume. Find out more…|
|Is Social Media the New Fast Food?
Sunday, March 10, 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
|Why we’re excited: As moderators and social strategists, we see a lot of content (some more meaningful than others). Will digital detox trends mean less social media use or just a shift in what people feel compelled to engage with? Find out more…|
|Transforming the Workplace Through Remote Work
Sunday, March 10, 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
|Why we’re excited: We at ModSquad are no strangers to the remote work model (after all, we’ve been doing it for 10+ years). We’re glad to see more organizations embracing the value of flexibility. Find out more…|
|Wacko World and the Rise of Memelord Brands
Sunday, March 10, 5:00 – 6:00 p.m.
|Why we’re excited: With endless accounts vying for your ❤️s and retweets, we love seeing the creative ways brands are standing out. More are learning how to do memes right and avoid ending up on r/fellowkids. Find out more…|
|Realigning ROI and Community
Sunday, March 10, 5:30 – 5:45 p.m.
|Why we’re excited: Building community isn’t just about increasing followers. It’s about the long-term value engaged, loyal customers bring to your brand. Find out more…|
|What Now? Brand Success in a New Privacy Landscape
Monday, March 11, 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.
|Why we’re excited: With our history working with kids brands and our focus on brand trust, digital safety is always on our minds. Is an hour enough to unpack everything pertaining to online privacy? Maybe not, but it’s a good start. Find out more…|
|How to Build and Maintain Online Game Communities
Friday, March 15, 3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
|Why we’re excited: It’s where it all started for ModSquad. We’re always keen to hear insights on how community is evolving for MMOs and gaming in general. Find out more…|
During a day full of walking, you’ll be ready for a break. Come by and chill out at ModSquad’s Tropical Getaway on the Trade Show floor, Booth #1433. We’ll be there all day from March 10-13.
Be sure to stop by our Tropical Happy Hour on Sunday, March 10 from 3–4 p.m. Umbrella drinks will be had. Need we say more?
Click here to learn more or to set up a time to come by and chat.
4 Tips for Making the Most of the SXSW Experience
At ModSquad, we’re all about strategic planning and digital safety, so we’ve applied our knowledge to helping you stay safe and make the most of your time at SXSW.
- Plan ahead. Check schedules ahead of time and decide which speakers, performances, and exhibits are most important to you. Set reminders for yourself that give you plenty of time to arrive early and get in the door for what you want to see.
- Bring your business cards. You never know who you’ll meet at SXSW. Whether or not you’re there to network, we highly recommend carrying some business cards so you can trade and reconnect after the event.
- Bring an empty bag! SXSW (unofficially, Swag by Swagwest) is all about free stuff. Your pockets can only hold so much, so tote an empty bag (and leave plenty of room in your suitcase if you’re flying in) for the many goodies you’re bound to come by.
- Pro Tip: Stop by our booth (Trade Show #1433) for a fun-in-the-sun beach ball!
- Leave time to recharge and stay healthy. Don’t leave your hotel without a (reusable) water bottle, and keep it topped off throughout the day. And as tempting as it’ll be to attend too many panels and snack on junk food, don’t underestimate the importance of a good night’s sleep and a nutritious meal. Listen to your body, and take time to sit and relax indoors or in the shade if you start to feel tired. Lastly, you’ll be shaking a lot of hands, so bring along some travel-size hand sanitizer for periodic use.